Very Experienced Speaker & Cruise Presenter
Author & Presenter of Radio Programme Sunday Band Stand
Chris Helme - for 30 years was a serving Police Officer and awarded the British Empire Medal in 1990 for his service in the community. He has written eight books both through commissions and self published books on subjects including local history, brass band nostalgia and one taking a light hearted look at his policing career. He has written a weekly nostalgia column in his local newspaper for over 30 years and has also written a number of articles for UK local and regional magazines.
He has been the producer and presenter of ‘Sunday Bandstand’ since its inception in 2007. This is his two hour brass band radio programme which is now available through 13 community radio stations including here in the UK, Cyprus, Australia, New Zealand and an expat station in France. (Listen to a recording of the show Here)
For over 25 years he taught local history adult community classes. In recent years he has taught older people how to use a mobile phone, basic computer skills, as well as teaching the same basic computer skills to job seekers and he a reminiscence workshop facilitator.
During the mid 1980’s he was beginning to be in demand as a speaker outside his usual job related presentations and has now developed a style that can both inform and entertain.
His presentations have often been described as ‘Infotainment’. He has developed a presentational style that can both conjure laughter and melancholy through his various subjects and have been appreciated by many local groups.
He is a regular speaker at Luncheon Clubs, Rotary Clubs and Probus Clubs throughout Yorkshire and averages 80 presentations annually. Even on his regular holidays to Cyprus he was asked to speak at an expat evening gathering at a hotel. In 2014 and 2015 he was invited to be a guest speaker on two cruise ships.
Images from Can You Remember the 1940's and '50's ?
List of Presentations
1. The World of British Styles Brass Bands - this has elements of music played in the presentation.
2. The Origins of New Year Resolutions, Superstitions and Sayings - UK
3. History of Pub signs and pub games - UK
4. The Royal Warship Vasa - Sweden
5. Policing in our Town - 1066 to the present day in the UK.
6. Netherlands - The Land of Windmills and Clogs
7. Keukenhof Castle and its Gardens - The Netherlands
8. Can You Remember the 1940’s and 50’s ? - A nostalgic journey through the 1940s and 50s, illustrating some of the changes the audience will have experienced.